Sunday, October 6, 2013

Rome 2013 - The Last European Getaway . . . For Now

We spent a weekend in Rome with a friend of ours who is stationed in Italy.  He wanted to get together before we left so we decided to congregate in Rome.  Needless to say, it was Amazing.  And yes, the capital A in amazing is necessary. 

Outside the Colosseum

It was a hot weekend, not surprising given that it's Rome in September, but it was absolutely gorgeous.  We got to spend some time at the Colosseum and Palatine Hill and then visited the Vatican. Much gelato was consumed to keep our temperatures down.  It's almost a requirement, really, for the proper enjoyment of the city.

Hamming it up in line at the Vatican

The food, of course, was fantastic and so was the wine.  The even better part was the company.  The hubs and I aren't used to traveling with another person in our party so it was really nice to have someone else to hang out with while we were tooling around the city.

I'm in ruins! Ah ha ha ha

Alaska had a great time as well.  He missed our last trip to Rome so it was a great opportunity for him to see another country as well.  That makes about 5 countries he's been to, I believe.  Not too shabby at all if you ask me.


All in all, it was an absolutely fantastic weekend and I couldn't have wished for a better trip for our last hoorah while we're over here.  We leave in 3 weeks and it seems so surreal that I won't be able to plan a quick getaway to another country anymore.  Being over here has made me so grateful for the opportunities and the adventures we've had.  This is, by no means, our last European trip however.  There is one in the works for a girls trip to London, my mom, possibly my aunt, and hopefully my little sister.  Maybe we can even convince my older sister to come! Whatever it is though, it will be fantastic! and I will take the opportunity to visit Bath (for the Jane Austen house) and Stonehenge (because I still haven't seen it).  And you better believe, if I get the chance, I'm going to Highclere Castle to visit the set of Downton Abbey.  I'm nerd girl squeeing over here . . . it's pretty pathetic. 


No comments:

Post a Comment