Sunday, August 1, 2010

Consider This . . .

I don't know why, but recently I've become more interested in writing again.  Well, I don't know if "again" is accurate since I've never really written anything other than school assignments, but I guess it's kind of always been in the back of my mind.  I've had discussions with friends on what I could write about, but I guess I've always felt that I would have nothing new to add to what's already been published.  This has deterred me from creating a manuscript to submit for publication.  I'm definitely not a JK Rowling or Stephenie Meyer where break out authors are concerned.  However, I've been looking into self-publication lately and it's started me thinking that I might could just do this thing.  Amazon has their own publishing program in place that allows authors to upload their text and be sold directly through the Kindle store.  Websites like Lulu.com offer multiple publication packages and project consultation for your book.  In that instance YOU are the publisher and retain all creative rights and make all final decisions.  You can order as many or as few books as you need in any binding you want - and they'll even help out with editing, for a fee of course. They also help with marketing, obtaining an ISBN and even hook you up with retailers.  It's an amazing new world that has opened up to me and makes it seem not so far fetched that one day my mother will be holding a book that I wrote.  I have no delusions of grandeur in this scenario.  I don't expect to have sales explode or make enough to quit my day job but it would be nice to know that I contributed something and it's out there and tangible.  Just food for thought at 1:30 in the morning . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment