Thursday, September 16, 2010

I Am Pretty Damn Lucky

We have a long weekend coming up next month thanks to Columbus Day and David and I are trying to decide where we want to go.  Now that I'm working we have to kind of work in our trips when we can because I am not as readily availabe as I once was.  That is the only downside to work.  We want to go to all these places and we have to work it around my stupid schedule and the amount of leave I can take.


Me on the 2nd level of the Eiffel Tour

In going over my options, though, I have come to realize that I am one lucky girl.  I can say that I've been to Paris, that I've been to where they make the world's best champagne and that I have been in a village that's made me feel like I was 500 years in the past.  Our options for the long weekend are numerous and plentiful.  It's just a matter of figuring out how long we either want to drive or ride the train.  With trains we can go farther faster, which means we can leave the country.  (We don't have our International Drivers Lincens so we can only drive in Germany.  I've heard horror stories about driving outside of here, especially in France.) 

Quaint little house in Rothenburg ob der Tauber

I've been grousing a little because I want to go to London, Dublin, Ireland, Denmark, Spain and on and on and on.  David insists that we are going to Rome at some point before we leave because he wants to show me around.  There are a bazillion places I want to go but I'll never have the chance while I'm over here.  There isn't enough time and I didn't think I would be this sad about it.  And it's silly, really, considering we still have two years left here but I want to come back saying, "Yes. I did all those things and I've seen all those places."  I don't want to regret not seeing the Colloseum or Piccadilly Circus but if I don't make it there this go around, I am still young, David retires early and we can spend our time travelling. 



Don't you just expect the pictures to move like the do in Harry Potter? :-)

We won't travel through time, we'll just spend our later years traversing the globe. (Ugh) It's sad how much being married to David has made my mind drift off into nerdish areas where previously it wouldn't have gone.  Oh well.  One more reason to make him spend his retirment check on hauling my ass around Europe again.  I like it!

1 comment:

  1. Sam, how have you had a blog and I didn't even know about it? I want to know about your life, you live in Germany for crying out loud! Okay, you're going on the blog roll and I'm checking regularly from now on.

    ReplyDelete